If you are in a hurry and want to find out which is the best embroidery machine right now, then I’d suggest going with Brother PE800.
I love embroidery. However, I just don’t have the time, energy and desire to create intricate embroidery designs by hand. Getting an embroidery sewing machine was hence a no-brainer.
It’s amazing how much technology can transform life. Something that would take me several hours to create by hand can be done within a few minutes by a machine.
If you love embroidery but can’t possibly slog at the task for hours on end, then getting an embroidery machine should be a natural choice for you as well.
Today, I will be reviewing 5 of the best embroidery machines that are available in the market:
How to Choose an Embroidery Machine?
From my research, I have learned that Brother embroidery machines are the best in the market.
I have compiled a list of the best embroidery machines available at different price points. All the options listed here are computerized embroidery machines.
I would suggest that you start out by identifying your own requirements and needs first. Before buying, pay attention to the unique features each embroidery machine offers and whether they match your goals or not.
So let us take a look at some of the key factors that you should be taking into account before investing in an embroidery machine.
The 2 Types of Embroidery Machines Available in the Market
Broadly speaking, you can say that there are 2 types of embroidery machines. One is an embroidery-only machine. The other is a combo machine that is capable of both embroidery and sewing.
Now, the question is how do you make a choice between the two?
If you already own a sewing machine that you really love, then you might want to get an embroidery-only machine. In terms of price, there isn’t that much of a difference between the two.
In fact, I personally think that if it’s a better idea to get a combo machine, especially if it comes with all the embroidery features you are looking for. That way you’ll have the option to use it as a back-up sewing machine whenever the need arises.
If you are a beginner looking to get started with both sewing and embroidery, then it will probably be a better idea to invest in a combo machine.
What Features to Look for in an Embroidery Machine?
Let us now discuss in greater detail all the key features you should look out for when buying an embroidery machine.
Again, the right hoop size for you would depend upon the kind of projects you see yourself doing. Keep in mind that you can always use a large hoop for smaller designs (it might not be possible to fit a small piece of fabric in the hoop though). You obviously can’t use a small hoop for holding larger designs.
Most machines come with a single hoop but it’s possible to buy and use additional hoops. I would suggest researching how compatible another hoop will be with your machine before purchasing a new one.
You will likely also need to make tweaks and manipulations to get the desired results with your add-on hoops.
It will be a worthy investment to buy a machine that offers a reasonably wide selection of embroidery fonts.
Again, predetermining the scope of your projects will help in finding out how large a selection you require for your specific needs.
Apart from the number of fonts available at your disposal, you’d also want to consider what kind of edits and customizations you are able to make to them.
Option to Edit Designs
I’d suggest choosing a machine that gives you maximum freedom to edit and customize designs. This way, you’ll have greater control over the final product you are creating.
USB Port for Importing Designs
A USB port will allow you to download and install new embroidery designs to your embroidery machine using a memory stick.
This is a very helpful feature, especially if you don’t want to restrict yourself to the designs that come with your machine. You’ll be able to add designs like a company logo and personal signature as well.
Some embroidery machines come with a black and white screen. I would strongly advise you to buy an embroidery machine that has a bright LCD color display.
Life is much easier when you are able to visualize and preview your design before getting down to work.
Ease of Use
Needless to say, the most important factor you have to consider when buying a new embroidery machine is how easy it is for you to use it. Some machines might have a steeper learning curve than others.
Hence, you have to keep in mind your comfort level with technology. You must also be willing to experiment with and learn about the features that are there on your machine.
Embroidery Machine Reviews
I’m now going to share with you my opinion about some of the best embroidery machines available in the market. So without further ado, let’s get down to business.
One thing I particularly like about this machine is that it tells you exactly how much time is needed to stitch any embroidery pattern. There are also infinite options for making edits and customizing designs.
The 3.2 inches color LCD touch screen shows you exactly what your edited design will look like even before you start stitching.
Thanks to the USB port, you can easily add any purchased embroidery pattern to your machine with a memory stick. This surely makes life a lot easier!
- Comes with a large 5 x 7 inches hoop
- Easy-to-use and beginner-friendly
- 138 built-in designs and 11 fonts (1 Cyrillic, 3 Japanese, and 7 English)
- Endless possibilities for editing and customizing designs
- USB port for transferring embroidery patterns from your memory stick to the machine
- Predicts the amount of time required for stitching your selected pattern
- Lets you visualize the embroidery work on your fabric before you start stitching
- Ability to change thread color using the 3.2 inches color LCD touch screen
- Well-lit work area
- Several users have reported tension malfunction issues
- Automatic needle-threader isn’t easy to use
Brother PE550D is hugely popular – thanks to its built-in licensed Disney patterns. It comes with a 4 X 4 inches embroidery hoop that makes it a great home embroidery machine.
Brother PE550D features 125 built-in designs that include 45 Disney patterns. The “D” in the machine’s name is actually indicative of the fact that all the Disney designs offered on the machine are officially licensed.
This is the right machine for you if you are planning to focus on smaller designs or you plan to embroider a lot of kids’ clothing/items.
For personalization and monogramming work, you have the option to choose from 9 fonts (3 Japanese and 6 English). The 3.2 inches color LCD touch screen allows you visualize and preview your designs prior to stitching. All designs can be easily edited on the touch screen.
You can easily import designs by connecting a memory stick to the USB port. Hence, the creative possibilities this machine offers are endless.
Overall, this is a great budget-friendly embroidery machine.
- Affordably priced
- Easy-to-use and beginner-friendly
- Comes with a 4 X 4 inches embroidery hoop (suitable for smaller embroidery projects)
- 125 built-in designs with 45 licensed Disney patterns
- 9 lettering fonts (3 Japanese and 6 English).
- 2 inches color LCD touch screen for visualizing, previewing and editing your designs
- Offers endless possibilities for design customizations
- USB port for importing designs using a memory stick
- Not as fast as other embroidery machines
- Smaller embroidery area
If you are on the hunt for a cost-effective combo sewing and embroidery machine, then Brother SE600 could be an ideal choice for you. I think this would be a particularly great option for a beginner who is looking to get started with both sewing and embroidery on a budget.It comes with a 4 x 4 inches embroidery hoop, an embroidery foot, 6 lettering fonts, and 80 built-in designs.
You also have the option to import designs by connecting a memory stick to the USB port. The 3.7 inches color LCD touch screen allows you to preview and edit designs.
The sewing machine features on this machine include 103 built-in stitches with plenty of decorative styles. You also get 7 sewing foot attachments (zipper, buttonhole, spring action zigzag, button sewing, overcasting, blind stitch, and monogramming).
Overall, it is a pretty decent machine for both sewing and embroidery work.
- Cost-effective 2-in-1 sewing and embroidery machine
- Comes with a 4 x 4 inches embroidery hoop (suitable for small scale projects) and an embroidery foot
- 80 built-in embroidery designs and 6 lettering fonts
- The 3.7 inches color LCD touch screen allows you to preview and edit designs
- Option to import designs by connecting a memory stick to the USB port
- Includes 7 sewing foot attachments (zipper, buttonhole, spring action zigzag, button sewing, overcasting, blind stitch and monogramming foot)
- Jam-resistant top drop-in bobbin system with a quick-set feature
- Built-in free arm for tackling sleeves and cuffs
- Relatively small embroidery field
- Factory settings for thread tension could be a little off
Brother PE535 is another great affordable embroidery-only machine. It comes with a 4 x 4 inches embroidery hoop that makes it an excellent embroidery machine for home use.
You get 80 built-in designs and 9 lettering fonts (3 Japanese, 6 English). The options for editing the designs and fonts are pretty much endless.
You also have the option to import designs using a memory stick via the USB port. Before you start stitching, you can preview and edit your designs on the 3.2 inches color LCD display.
To be very honest, there isn’t that much of a difference between SE600 and PE535. In my opinion, Brother SE600 offers greater value-for-money since it also serves as a regular sewing machine. It is also best sewing machine for quilting and embroidery.
Hence, I would suggest going with SE600 unless for some reason you are staunchly opposed to the idea of buying a combo machine.
- Beginner friendly embroidery-only machine
- Affordably priced
- Comes with a 4 x 4 inches hoop
- 80 built-in designs and 9 lettering fonts (3 Japanese, 6 English).
- 2 inches colorful LCD display for previewing and editing designs on-screen
- USB port for importing designs using a memory stick
- Offers endless possibilities for editing and customizing designs
- A fairly quiet machine
- Limited embroidery area
- Very similar to SE600 – except without the capability to serve as a regular sewing machine
This is an excellent option to invest in if you are looking for an embroidery machine for your home business. Since it is a 2-in-1 sewing-cum-embroidery machine, you can use it for both regular sewing and embroidery work. Dare I say – it does a pretty good job at both!Brother SE1900 comes with a 5 x 7 inches hoop that makes it suitable for doing a vast number of embroidery designs. You’ll have more than enough space for lettering and larger designs. You can also combine designs without having to rehoop.
The 3.2 inches color LCD display is bright and vibrant enough to give a nice preview of designs. The possibilities for editing and customizing designs are also infinite on this machine.
- Outstanding 2-in-1 sewing-cum-embroidery machine
- Large 5 x 7 inches embroidery hoop
- Colorful 3.2 inches LCD display for previewing, editing, and customizing designs
- 138 built-in designs (including floral, seasonal/kids patterns; 14 stitch patterns & 10 frame shapes) and 7 lettering fonts
- USB port for importing designs with a memory stick
- 240 built-in stitches with 10 different 1-step buttonhole styles
- Free-motion sewing capability
- Comes with 8 sewing foot attachments (monogramming, overcasting, buttonhole, zigzag, zipper, button fitting, embroidery, and button stitching foot)
- Might not fit into everyone’s budget
- Does not come with additional hoops. You can purchase them if need be. (If you are planning to do designs larger than 5 x 7 inches, it is possible to surpass the limitations to a certain extent. Nevertheless, it would require quite a bit of effort and manipulation)
In my opinion, Brother PE800 is the best embroidery machine in the market right now. It is an embroidery-only machine that offers outstanding value-for-money.
Since PE800 comes with a 5 x 7 inches embroidery hoop, you have ample space to do a lot of different patterns.
The 138 built-in designs and 11 lettering fonts allow you to get really creative with your projects. Thanks to the built-in memory, you can import and store additional designs on the machine. All you have to do is connect your memory stick with the designs to the USB port.
The bright 3.2 inches color LCD display screen is excellent for previewing designs. You get to predict exactly what the finished work would look like on the fabric. I like the fact that you get an estimate of the time required to embroider a specific design before you get to work.
In conclusion, Brother PE800 is hands-down the best embroidery machine available in the market today. I can’t recommend it enough!